Ice, Ice Baby

 (Tues. Dec. 30th): I have really slacked off on this whole blogging thing! It kind of parallels my training for this marathon in a way. I started out doing great, but as the holidays came around, the dates on the calendar started booking up and then the weather has been crazy. And now, well, I am kind of petering-out so to speak. I have things I want to write, but just don’t have the time nor energy or motivation to do it. On the way home from being gone over Christmas I decided I was going to blog since I had 4 hours in the car. Then as I sat there, my mind went blank and I stared at the computer for about 45 minutes before I dozed off. When I came to, I just couldn’t wrap my head around blogging so I decided to play a mindless computer game instead.

On Sat. Dec. 11th, I did run 10 miles. Thankfully, it was just cold, but not raining. The worst of the dread was that I had no one to run it with. Hubby and our son weren’t even there to inspire me that day since they were out running errands. I did the whole 10 miles on my own and pretty much was hating every minute of it! I went back to my “old faithful” park to start my run from there, but soon tired of the dull course. After three monotonous miles, I ventured back out of the park and ran in the direction I did on my 18 mile run the week prior. Once I reached Chick-Fil-A, I ran my way back down to the park. The physical therapist I have been seeing had talked to me on my last visit about the way I run. He had me get on the treadmill so he could see how my feet looked while running. I was surprised to learn that I was expelling way more energy than I needed to. I had never noticed that I run toe and heal, but apparently I do. The direct result of that has been a lot of unnecessary pressure and pounding on my body and most likely the biggest reason I have been having so much back and hip pain. The therapist had me switch my running to the balls of my feet only. He explained that all fast runners run this way and that their shoes are even made with more of the tread in that area. It took some getting used to, but I definitely could tell a difference. I felt more “springy”, but now my concern is whether or not I will have more pain in my legs from running this way since I am not used to it… I’ll keep you posted on that.

Fast forward to Mon. Dec. 20th. I finally motivated myself enough to get on the treadmill around 11pm and do 3 miles. It took me 34 minutes, but hey, I did it. I mostly ran on the balls of my feet. I felt like a gazelle stuck on a hamster wheel.

Fri. Dec. 24th I finally pushed past 18 miles and ran my longest run. I did 20 miles and it took me 3 hrs and 54 minutes (not including my time-outs for the bathroom breaks here and there. That probably added another 15 minutes or so. By the 11th mile, I was really over the whole thing. I was so bored and tired that I seriously considered stopping altogether. I wasn’t even halfway to 26 miles and I was seriously sick of the time I was using up to do it. Here it was Christmas Eve and I should have been hanging out with family. I called hubby on the cell phone and he met me on the golf cart and encouraged me for the next 4 miles. At mile 15, one of hubby’s cousin’s came out to finish the run with me. Boy was I glad for the company of having someone run alongside me. Just a month or so ago, his cousin had run a marathon Greenville. He completed it in an impressive 4 hours and 6 minutes! Running with him gave me the “umph” I needed to continue on. I was so hoping to get 22+ miles in, but time wouldn’t allow for it. We had family plans that night and I had taken quite long enough already. I was tired anyway and in all honesty, glad for the reprieve. Still, another goal in my head that didn’t quite work out as planned. But, I did do two more miles than I had previously so at least that is something to be proud of, right?! Oh, I also have done not one, but three ice baths since then. Yes, you heard me right- ice baths. They are a cross between sick torture and relief! My first one was right after the 20 miles. I had hubby start the tub for me and pour ice in it just before I got back from my run. He was very gracious with the amount of water and ice! When I went to get in the water, it was all I could do not to scream in agony. I am not kidding! That water was freaking COLD! It took me almost 10 minutes to submerge my legs in all the way. Once in, I think I stayed in for about 3-5 minutes tops. Remarkably, I felt pretty good the next day. My legs were not sore at all and my lower back felt better than it had in weeks. I went ahead and took another ice bath the following morning. This time, I got in the tub with lukewarm water first and then I slowly cooled the water down. Once my body adjusted to the cooler water, I then poured a pitcher of ice in tub. I leaned back as far as I could handle it and tried to get most of my upper back submerged. That lasted about 5-7 minutes. But I have to say, it worked. I felt great all day long and I didn’t need to take any Advil or use any Biofreeze. My last ice bath was when I returned home from Christmas. I did one the day after we got home because we had been sitting in the car for so many hours the day before and I wanted to make sure that the pain didn’t come creeping back. My Chiropractor, massage therapist and physical therapist were pretty amazed when they saw me. They could definitely tell that I wasn’t inflamed like I had been previously.

As of today, I am only 12 days away from the big day. No more long runs. In fact, I have not run since Christmas Eve. I plan on 5 miles tomorrow because I really should. Tomorrow will be New Year’s Eve…

I printed out my race packet last night and scanned over it. I have to be in the “corral” no later than 5 am or I won’t be able to run the race. Say WHAT?! Seriously??? They also said it is a 20 minute walk from the entrance of the park to where the starting line is and to be prepared for heavy traffic entering the park. Say WHAT again?! I am really counting on that Mickey Medal to drive me to complete this thing now. It better be worth it! LOL

We have made tentative hotel reservations at a place close to the park. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to take advantage of my free ticket to the park the following day since we’ll have to be heading back to pick up the boy. Does anyone want a free Disney ticket for Monday, Jan. 10th?

Since it is after 1am now and my hubby is not too happy that I am still up and blogging, I had better get going for now.

Tonight, I leave you with this quote: “Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.” ~Newt Gingrich

This entry was posted in A Journey to a marathon, A SquirlyGrl Quest to run a marathon, A very Squirly Training Blog, Marathon Training Blog, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s